Re: Summation Formulae Table

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28472] Re: Summation Formulae Table
  • From: O <O_member at>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

thank you for your attempt to answer my question, I am sure I am not forming it
Let me try once again, maybe this time I can do better.

Where or how can I find the list of patterns and rewrite rules that built-in
mathematical functions like
Exp and Zeta and others will match against?

In[1]:= Sum[1/k^p,{k,1,Infinity}]

Out[1]= Zeta[p]

In[17]:= Sum[x^k/k!,{k,0,Infinity}]

Out[17]= Exp[x]

How can I see the definitions of built-in mathematical functions or the rules
they are associated with?
UpValues[] and DownValues[] return empty lists.

Thanks again,

In article <9bm4pg$j2k at>, Paul Lutus says...