considering reflections in ray tracing with optica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28467] considering reflections in ray tracing with optica
  • From: "Dr. Reto T. Meili" <reto.meili at msemeili.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:24:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi there!

I was using Optica together with Mathematica some time ago and know its
ray tracing features more or less. I'm now again confronted with such a
problem, but this time I want to model not only the refracted part of
the rays but also the reflected part, e.g. of not coated lenses and
quantify it, i.e. I'd like to know how much light comes back for a
certain configuration - if possible applying Fresnels equation for the
spectral reflection grade or at least an approximation of it.

Here my questions:

-  is it possible to do this for 2/3 elements with optica? Version
required?

- if yes, is this a standard feature of the package or is there a lot of
programming involved? Has anybody done this already and experience in
this area? (we may discuss a salary for a good solution!).

Thanks a lot for your help - it's appreciated!

Best regards

Reto Meili

PS.: Is there a 'public' news server one may use for the news group
comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica? Parameters? - thanks.

Dr. Reto T. Meili

MSE MEILI - Multiphase Systems Engineering
Technoparkstr. 1, CH-8005 Zürich, Switzerland
phone: ++41-1-440 55 00, fax: ++41-1-440 55 04,
email: reto.meili at msemeili.ch / info: http://www.msemeili.ch