What is MakeRules (Option of Solve) good for?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28483] What is MakeRules (Option of Solve) good for?
  • From: Adalbert Hanssen <hanssen at zeiss.de>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, MathGroup,

looking for a way to find out about the substitutions, that
were carried out during Solve, I found out that Solve
has an option MakeRules, which defaults to False. I could
not find anything on it, neither in THE BOOK nor in the
online-help.

Is anyone out there, who has used MakeRules?
Has anyone found out a practical way to see the
substitutions, that were made during Solve, e.g.
when solving

Solve[-(d*x) + (x + xx)*Sqrt[(-1 + n^2)*x^2 + n^2*z^2]==0,x]

which yields a long solution set with over and over
the same complicated subexpressions (probably from writing
out some substitutions done during the Solve-Process).

kind regards

Dipl.-Math. Adalbert Hanszen