Importing Graphics into Mathematica notebooks?

The index entry for "Graphics, Importing" in The Mathematica Book points
only to page 208, which so far as I can see discusses on exporting
graphics to files.  There's an Export[ ] command, but no analogous
Import[ ]  command.

Suppose I create a named graphic in one notebook

   g1 = Plot[--------]

and want to use the result as a named graphic in another notebook
(without re-running the Plot[ ]  command).  How do I transfer it over
and rename it?

How do I import an EPSF image generated in some other application, and
give it a name?

(Macintosh front end.)