Notebook contents

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg30549] Notebook contents
  • From: "Oliver Friedrich" <oliver.friedrich at>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 01:39:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm working on a bigger notebook which I want to present as a technical
documentation. Now I want to insert a page of contents (an index) at the
beginning of my document. I'm looking for a way to scan through the
notebook, collect all the headlines hierarchically (Title, Subtitles,
Sections with nested subsections...) and construct an automatic index to
display at the very top of the notebook.
Sure there's a way, you could scan through all Cell[... ] expressions and
collect them according to their style. Has anybody done this or must I
re-invent the wheel, because I'm sure that this has be already done. In fact
it's the Mathematica-counterpart for the automatic indexing in Word for
Who has the piece of code for me?

Thank you

Oliver Friedrich