Re: Supressing the output of Plot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg30609] Re: Supressing the output of Plot
  • From: Adam Smith<adam.smith at>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 04:09:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

It appears that using PlotLegend somehow overrides the Display->Identity.  Maybe
some of the Mathematica gurus know a way around this.  But I did stumble upon a
way that is probably not the most elegant method.  Using graphics primitive
places something resembling a legend without displaying the plot.
It will need some work in your case, but might at least be a starting point.

and in your case the exact placement of text will need some work.

graphthing =
{Plot[{Sin[t], Cos[t]}, {t, 0, 5},  PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {-2, 2}},
DisplayFunction -> Identity ],

In article <9mkt0v$1un$1 at>, Frank Black says...
>I'm making a Table full of Plots using Table[Plot[...]],  and would
>like to suppress the display of the resulting plots until later, when
>I will use GraphicsArray.
>Setting DisplayFunction -> Identity in the Plot command works until I
>include a legend with PlotLegend, then every single plot will be
>Example of no plot output:
>  Plot[{Sin[t], Cos[t]}, {t, 0, 5}, DisplayFunction -> Identity,
>       PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {-2, 2}}];
>Example of undesired plot outputs:
>  Plot[{Sin[t], Cos[t]}, {t, 0, 5}, DisplayFunction -> Identity,
>      PlotLegend -> {"Uno", "Dos"}, LegendPosition -> {.3, -.6},
>      PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {-2, 2}}];
>Any suggestions?

Adam Smith
Dept. of Physics