Re: mathematica on os x

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31776] Re: mathematica on os x
  • From: dseaman at seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:45:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <9u209p$ip5$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
Martin Bauer  <comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at hcii.de> wrote:
>hi,
>i saw the announcement about mathematica on os x.

>maybe someone can answer the most important question to me:
>is it cocoa or carbon?
>:)

If you are wondering whether this release *requires* OS X, the answer is,
you get two CD's.  One for OS 9 and one for X.  You are allowed to
install only one of the two.  At least, that's how it was explained to me
by the customer service rep who took my order today.

Although it is possible to have a Carbon-based application that is OS
X-only, I am willing to bet that the OS X version is Cocoa, especially
when you consider that an earlier version of Mathematica used to run on
NeXT machines, and the NeXT was once Wolfram's primary development
platform.

The press release describes it as "fully native for Mac OS X", and
emphasizes the fact that it is running on a Unix platform.  Mathematica
versions that run on Unix platforms are documented in the Mathematica
book to know about Unix features like pipes and shell escapes,
redirection, and Unix file-naming conventions.

Dave Seaman			dseaman at purdue.edu
Amnesty International calls for new trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/reports/mumia/>