Displaying Mathematica's Global rules

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32046] Displaying Mathematica's Global rules
  • From: Blimbaum Jerry DLPC <BlimbaumJE at>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:42:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

	I happened to be reading a book that gave an example of implementing
the kronecker delta symbol , i.e. define it and then see how Mathematica
stores the rules for it and in what I typed in the rule using
the subscript button on the palette....

	d_subscripts_a_,b_= 0       and       d_subscripts_a_,a_ = 1     ,
ran it a few times just to show that it works......but then i tried the next
part of the

exercise which showed you how you to find out how Mathematica stored the I typed in   ?d expecting to see the rules   but all Mathematica

gave back was 'Global 'd' I realize

that the subscript button duzznt create a symbol (*  the book defined the
delta symbol as d[x_,x_] = 1, etc. so it didnt run into this problem * ) but
i was

still puzzled......

 Mathematica ran my definitions for any values of a and b...but  where are
the rules?

	jerry blimbaum   NSWC  Panama City, Fl