Re: Is this a bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32068] Re: [mg32047] Is this a bug?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:57:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I guess I misunderstood you. I meant only to explain that the way your
program worked was not a bug. If you really want to achieve your aim
(single evaluation of k[5]) you have to use a different approach. There
is no reason why it has to be done the same way as in another language,
e.g. C. For example, in mathematica you can do it as follows:

In[1]:=
k[x_]:=k[x]=Module[{},Print["hallo world"];x];

In[2]:=
a[5] = 0;

In[3]:=
a[k[5]]++

 From In[3]:=
hallo world

Out[3]=
0

Of course there is a price to be paid, as you keep using k, Mathematica
will remember more and more values. But then nothing comes for free and
if yu really think you need C that's what you should use.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/