Re: Bump Function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg32051] Re: Bump Function
  • From: paladin_billw at
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:57:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

FWIW, here's a way to make smooth bumps that have a fixed value beyond
a threshold radius, can be scaled, centered anywhere, superimposed on
top of each other without ugly discontinuities, without wasting a lot
of time taking square roots.  Enjoy:

(*bumpProfile is a function which determines the cross section of the
bump function, note the use of Min[] to level the function off beyond
a radius of 1*)

(*scalebump is a function for scaling the height and width of

(*roundbump converts the scaled bumpProfile from a function of one
variable to a function of (x^2+y^2), and performs a translation*)

(*Composite of 8 random bumps*)
      With[{ nbumps=8, ranrngs={{-1,1},{-1,1},{.1,1},{0,1}} },