J/Link listeners

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg27178] J/Link listeners
  • From: murphee <werner.schuster at>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 03:10:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

yo Todd Gayley (and of course the rest of the group),

the MathListener Util classes in J/Link make it very easy to write GUI
code, without writing (an deploying) classes;
but, as soon as you need a Listener not defined in J/Link, you have to
write Java Code again
(eg if you use some of the Swing Listeners like ChangeListener (for JSlider));

I thinks it is possible to use the JDK 1.3 Dynamic Proxy API to add this to

I know that everyone could use the DynamicProxy things on their own, but
having a little Utility class that hides
all the ugly details would make J/Link even more useful;

something like MathGenericListener, with a setHandler method like the other

one drawback would be that at least JDK 1.3 would be required, but that
shouldn't be too much of a problem
(except for the 4 or 5 MacOS 9 users ;) );

my site:
a must:
so is this:
as well as:
"... and the fact that I haven't put a gun to my mouth yet, makes me a winner!"
Al Bundy