Re: Mathematica 4.1 How to.....

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27269] Re: Mathematica 4.1 How to.....
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:58:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Exp is the exponential funcition, E is the constant Exp[1] E alao has a
special symbol obtained by typing \[ExponentialE] or the sequence Escape ee
Escape.
The lower case e is just a letter without any meaning.
(See the palette found under the menu File>Palettes>CompleteCharacters)

Hence

Plot[1+E^x, {x,-2,2}]

Plot[1+Exp[x], {x,-2,2}]

Built-in Mathematica symbols begin with capitals; function application uses
[  ] not ( ). But you can  use the latter if the expression is in
TraditionalForm (see later).

Plot[Cos[Pi x], {x,-2,2}]

We can get a Greek  pi  via the sequence Escape p Escape

Mathematica in does not understand |x| , where | is the normal bar on the
keyboard.
We can use:

Plot[Abs[x],{x,-2,2}]

If you want  to see the inputs above in traditional notation then select the
cells (click on the bracket) and then use the menu  Cell> Convert To>
Traditional Form.
Then reevaluate them to check that they work.
We can type directly in traditional form, but that takes us into
typsetting ---- .

--
Allan
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk