Re: simple Problem: D[ ]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27349] Re: [mg27310] simple Problem: D[ ]
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:17:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I see no reason why it doesn't work.

In[1]:=
f[x] = x^2;

In[2]:=
D[f[x], x]
Out[2]=
2 x

I suggest you define your f using the SetDelayed feature of Mathematica and
a pattern as formal parameter. E.g.

In[3]:=
g[x_] := x^2;

In[4]:=
D[g[x], x]
Out[4]=
2 x

This way you can use your function in a more general way. For example, you
cannot change the name of your variable with f, since Mathematica has no way
of knowing its meaning:

In[5]:=
D[f[y], y]
Out[5]=