Re: Re: Random Sampling Without Replacement?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26633] Re: [mg26608] Re: [mg26586] Random Sampling Without Replacement?
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:36:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think there is an error in your suggestion (apart from the fact that the
package is called DiscreteMath` - not DiscreteMathematics`). See, if the
original list from which the samples are to be taken is e.g. {2, 4, 6, 8,
10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20}, with size 10, then

In[1]:=
Take[RandomPermutation[10], 3]
Out[1]=
{1, 9, 10}

and here you obtain two elements (1 and 9) who do not belong to the original
list. Check, e.g., [mg26602] .

Tomas Garza
Mexico City