Re: Switching Output Format Type for a single cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26706] Re: [mg26680] Switching Output Format Type for a single cell
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:57:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Adalbert Hanssen wrote:

> in most cases, setting Default Output Format Type to
> StandardForm gives the best results. This can be
> accessed from Mathematica's CellMenu.
>
> However, sometimes, one wants to highlight parts of
> an expression for Copy...Paste-operations (e.g. parts
> of an output from Solve, which Simplify does not
> simplify well enough). Then, InputForm is better,
> epecially if (on Windows systems) one uses
> Shift-Control-B to select a parenthesized
> subexpression. (Copy...Paste does not well work from
> StandardForm cells, if one wants to paste to an
> InputCell).
>
> Now I would like to set up certain cells, such that
> all output generated by them is in InputForm, whrereas
> all other cells use StandardForm. Is it possible to
> set OutputFormatType per cell and how is this
> accomplished?

Yes, it is possible.  You can accomplish what you describe by adding the
following option to the Input cell that is to generate the InputForm
output.

CommonDefaultFormatTypes->{"Output"->InputForm}

This can be done from the front end's Option Inspector dialog when its
scope indicator is set to "selection".

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com