Re: Switching Output Format Type for a single cell

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26706] Re: [mg26680] Switching Output Format Type for a single cell
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:57:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Adalbert Hanssen wrote:

> in most cases, setting Default Output Format Type to
> StandardForm gives the best results. This can be
> accessed from Mathematica's CellMenu.
> However, sometimes, one wants to highlight parts of
> an expression for Copy...Paste-operations (e.g. parts
> of an output from Solve, which Simplify does not
> simplify well enough). Then, InputForm is better,
> epecially if (on Windows systems) one uses
> Shift-Control-B to select a parenthesized
> subexpression. (Copy...Paste does not well work from
> StandardForm cells, if one wants to paste to an
> InputCell).
> Now I would like to set up certain cells, such that
> all output generated by them is in InputForm, whrereas
> all other cells use StandardForm. Is it possible to
> set OutputFormatType per cell and how is this
> accomplished?

Yes, it is possible.  You can accomplish what you describe by adding the
following option to the Input cell that is to generate the InputForm

This can be done from the front end's Option Inspector dialog when its
scope indicator is set to "selection".

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.