Re: Fw: FORTRAN style, not OK?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26823] Re: Fw: FORTRAN style, not OK?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:13:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have found thousend of cases, where the FORTRAN syntax does not work,
EQUVALENCE, COMMON, DATA ... perherps it happens because Mathematica
has it's own programming language that is closer to LISP than to
FORTRAN.

v-=c

will work for you but unfortunatly it is C-like and you can't use it...

You final goal should be to avoid stupid Do[] loops. I'm using
Mathematica for all most everything in my computations but
I have never need a Do[]/For[]-loop, seldom a While[] ...

Regards
  Jens

PS: Mathematica seems to ignore the FORTRAN-line continuation in the
6-th column. The comment character in the first column does also not
work it is a shame ;-)