Any better way for finding frequencies of list entries?

Hello Mathematica experts out there,

I want to determine the frequencies of the entries in a list of integers

For example, the following piece of code seems to work with Pi:
pi = Join
    [ {3}, ToExpression[Characters[StringDrop[ToString[N[Pi, 57]], {1,
2}]]]]
Table[{i, Count[pi, i]}, {i, 0, 9}]

Question: Is there a more elegant way to do that?

Regards from Domi.