Re: Napoleon

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26913] Re: Napoleon
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:29:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
> At some time over the last couple of years I remember coming across a
> notebook with a graphic which showed Napoleons march toward moscow (?). From
> memory the objective of the notebook may have been to demonstrate the use of
> graphics primitives. I can't remember where I saw this (mathsource?,
> resource library? etc).
> Can anyone help me out?
> cheers
> Mike

it was mentioned in the MathUser issue #6, Spring 1994:
(Mathematica Miscellany) or
You can access the mentioned MathSource notebook via ftp:
(I didn't find a link to it in the HTML version of MathSource.)

This graphic is actually a reproduction of a much more detailed
visualization of Napoleon's march by Minard. (Reproduced for example in
Tufte, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Graphics Press
There was a paper about a new reconstruction on the IEEE Visualization
conference by Matthew C. Humphrey (matth at called "Creating
Visualizations with the Relational Visualization Notation".

Hope this helps

Martin Kraus