Want to use results by Parallel Computing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26979] Want to use results by Parallel Computing
  • From: "Toshiyuki \(Toshi\) Meshii" <meshii at mech.fukui-u.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:38:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Disposition-notification-to: "Toshiyuki \(Toshi\) Meshii" <meshii@mech.fukui-u.ac.jp>
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

Some strange things about parallel computing.

When I execute the following on a single machine, there is no problem.

Do[c[i] = i * (i+2), {i, 1000}]

I can surely obtain c[5] or any of the elements.

c[5]
35

However, when I do the same thing by ParallelEvaluate,  executing time
becomes shorter, but I cannot access to the results.

ParallelEvaluate[Do[c[i] = i * (i+2), {i, 1000}]]

That is, I cannot get the concrete value of c[5] on the master machine.

c[5]
c[5]

Mathematica just returns c[5] symbolically.

What is happening?
I hope some one can give me advice on obtaining the results, such as
c[5]=35.

-Toshi