Re: Problem with Inequalities

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29690] Re: [mg29675] Problem with Inequalities
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:08:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

on 7/3/01 5:40 PM, Axel Dreher at Mail at wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm desperately searching for help on my inequality question.
> How can I check for the truth of inequalities when I use variables
> instaed of numeric values?
> For example: a>b;TrueQ[a>b]
> does yield 'false' and for example a=1;b=0.5;TrueQ[a>b] yields 'True'.
> How do I have to tell the programm, that it should use a>b?
> Thanks for your help......
> Axel
First of all, you should explain what you are trying to do. Judging by your
message you are almost certainly doing it wrong and most likely you should
not be using TrueQ at all. If you want to use a>b as an assumption when
Mathematica checks some other inequality you should use Simplify and
assumptions, e,g.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University