Re: Laplace transform

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29712] Re: [mg29687] Laplace transform
  • From: "Mark Harder" <harderm at>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:08:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

    This is mostly a mathematical question about manipulating
LaplaceTransforms of generalized functions; but it does demonstrate
Mathematica's ability to handle the latter and to calculate the symbolic
Laplace transforms for you.    The trick is to replace G[t] with an
expression in F[t] weighted by UnitStep[t-tm] , which =0 for t<tm, and 1 for
t>=tm, namely  G[t]:=F[t]*(1-UnitStep[t-tm]) +F[tm]*UnitStep[t-tm] .  (See
online documentation for  definition of UnitStep)
    The enclosed notebook shows how this works for F[t]=Exp[-a t],
symbolically, and graphically for a=tm=1.

[Contact the author to obtain the notebook - moderator]

-mark harder

p.s. This problem has come up repeatedly, in which the solution is to
replace a function defined in terms of an If[] condition on its arguments
with some sort of generalized function construction.