Re: proof by induction?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29737] Re: [mg29729] proof by induction?
  • From: Ken Levasseur <Kenneth_Levasseur at>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 03:24:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The question below is ill-posed in that there is nothing to prove.   If you
are given an equation like
S= A((r^n+1)-1)/(r-1), there isn't much to say about it.   On the other
hand if you are given that
S=A + Ar + Ar^2 + ... + Ar^n,  then you might want to prove that S is equal
to the given equation.  This is a standard textbook example on induction
and I wouldn't feel comfortable providing the proof  to what is probably a
homework assignment in this forum.

Ken Levasseur
Math. Sciences
UMass Lowell