why is Export[] SO slow?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29881] why is Export[] SO slow?
  • From: Paul Cally <Paul.Cally at sci.monash.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have been making animations, using ShowAnimation, and then
exporting these to a gif movie

Export["file.gif",animation]

Typically I might have around 130 frames. This all works,
but it is SO slow, maybe taking a couple of hours to export!!
The final movie is only 176 kb, so each frame is pretty small.
Is there a better way to do this?

I was running on a 600MHz pentium under linux.

Paul Cally

--

Assoc Prof Paul Cally
Department of Mathematics & Statistics