Re: Placeholders in matrix notation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29907] Re: [mg29892] Placeholders in matrix notation
  • From: "Hugh Philipp" <hph at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:08:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I've had this problem before and I have used at least a dozen clumsy work
arounds for it.

Here is one:

ff ={D[#[[1]],x],0}&;

Of course, I don't really like this method because you have to do the matrix
operations explicitly in the function - designating the elements.

The other way of doing it goes something like this:

d1 f_:=D[f,x]

I don't know if the gurus here think this is O.K. - I'm sure there will be

Notice to that:

d1 d1 f[x]

evaluates to f''[x]

...a nice 'feature'. - but BE CAREFUL becaue d1 d1 evaluates to 0.  So -
there might be some other hidden 'features' with this approach.

For example, the vector:  {d1 d1,d1} evaluates to {0,d1}

Hope this helps,