Re: Declaring variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29924] Re: Declaring variables
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:56:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

there is *no* way to set the type of the value
of a symbol ! Mathematica is an untyped language.

Your statement "x must be a list" is not clear --
what must be a list ? The symbol x or it's value ?

Since Mathematica knows nothing about type definitions
it will not speed up your computation.

For CompiledFunction[] objects you can give types
and tensor degrees.

What will reduce your runtime ? This can't be sayed without
the programming code. A MathLink program will do it, if you just
do numerics. But a general hint is impossible.

Regards
  Jens