Re: Declaring variables

Hi,

there is *no* way to set the type of the value
of a symbol ! Mathematica is an untyped language.

Your statement "x must be a list" is not clear --
what must be a list ? The symbol x or it's value ?

Since Mathematica knows nothing about type definitions
it will not speed up your computation.

For CompiledFunction[] objects you can give types
and tensor degrees.

What will reduce your runtime ? This can't be sayed without
the programming code. A MathLink program will do it, if you just
do numerics. But a general hint is impossible.

Regards
  Jens