Re: Mathematica generating gifs for avi's

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29985] Re: Mathematica generating gifs for avi's
  • From: axc at poincare.EECS.cwru.edu
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:28:48 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

yes i'd already written some function to do that, see:

http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~axc/Thesis/Animations/animation-gifs-6.nb

including function to pad filenames with zeros. is there a built-in
way to do that by the way? unfortunately there's no option for
ToString[] that formats even integers with leading zeros

also, to be clear, creating separate files for each gif is not
necessary as Mathematica seems to be able to generate multiframe gifs no
problem. however, i still have to step outside Mathematica for the gif->avi
conversion (i'm using gif movie gear, which is shareware) which seems
ridiculous as the mac version of Mathematica can do this internally. will this
be remedied in a future version? $600 for Graphica is excessive.

i'm still looking for any tips or help in using Mathematica to write my
dissertation. i used latex for my ms thesis but, i mean, c'mon, it's
2001, i should be able to use Mathematica entirely given that the print
version of Mathematica journal (new series) is made 99% w Mathematica
according to one of its editors (except for the table of contents)

alan calvitti
axc at eecs.crwu.edu