Antipodal Map Intersections

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30022] Antipodal Map Intersections
  • From: hahaj at home.com (Hans Havermann)
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:16:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This has been on my back-burners for a while... If anyone is interested
in some (crude) antipodal (Earth-countries) map overlaps, I've put up a
web-page with a few pictures...

http://members.home.net/hahaj/antipodal.html

The Mathematica WorldData.m document sources the country polygonal-point
data (on which the country-plots are based):

"These data are derived from what was originally a CIA database,
released into the public domain by the Freedom of Information Act.  I
acquired a copy of these data, and rearranged them to the form below.
The copy I found was from the Amiga Fish disks, a public-domain
distribution of software for the Amiga computer, under the name
WorldDataBank.  Note that these data (in the original format) are
available at higher resolution from this source."

I've had a look at the "original format" of a Net copy of WorldDataBank
and didn't see anything that I knew how to extract. It's been voiced
before but I'll say it again: It would be nice to have more accurate
data-points for Mathematica's WorldPlot.