True 3D Text Characters?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg30051] True 3D Text Characters?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear MathGroup,

I am trying to illustrate the effect of 3D rotation matrices. I want to make
a model of a book and then rotate it in different manners. As a nice touch I
would like to put some printing on the face of the book, something like
"Quaternions by Hamilton". But, alas, I can't do this with Text statements.
What I need is a 3D font that actually draws characters in three dimensional
space. I need something where you can actually specify the location,
scaling, and normal direction for the plane of the writing. Has anyone ever
done anything like this?

David Park
djmp at