exporting extended ascii characters

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30036] exporting extended ascii characters
  • From: Gianluca Gorni <gorni at dimi.uniud.it>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello!

I would like to export strings of text containing extended
ascii characters, with Macintosh encoding. The following
code works for most characters:

Export["outputfile.txt", myString,
  "Lines",
  CharacterEncoding -> "MacintoshRoman"]

but it gets the following four greek letters wrong:

1) lower case pi, which turns up as literal \[Pi]
2) capital omega, which turns up as literal \[CapitalOmega]
3) capital delta, which turns up as literal \[CapitalDelta]
4) lower case mu, which turns up as literal \[Mu]

Capital sigma and capital pi come out correct, though.

What can I do, other than hand-editing the resulting file?

My version is "4.1 for Power Macintosh (November 2, 2000)".

Thanks in advance for any help!

                Gianluca Gorni

--

 | Gianluca Gorni                  |