Mathlink and MPW v3.5 problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30043] Mathlink and MPW v3.5 problems
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:00:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am attempting to write a Mathlink program using MPW v3.5.

I used mprep to generate the glue code and so far the program seems to
launch correctly.  However the MLEvaluate and MLEvaluateString
functions are behaving strangely.  Calling MLEvaluateString causes my
program to immediately terminate and returns $Failed to the notebook.
MLEvaluate seems to work. however any calls to MLNewPacket cause the
same behavior as MLEvaluateString.  This of course is expected as
MLEvaluateString is simply MLEvaluate followed by a loop to eliminate
all packets that are returned,  The behavior of MLEvaluate is
unexpected though.  Can anyone give me any clues as to why it's
behaving this way?

Furthermore, I am not primarily a C programmer so some of my C skills
are lacking however looking at the code generated by mprep it seems
that the link used to communicate with Mathematica: stdlink is global
to the routine being linked to Mathematica only.  Therefore this link
needs to be passed to any auxillary routines that wish to communicate
with Mathematica.  Is this correct?  Since my routine takes two arrays
as arguments I se teh argument type to {Manual} in the template and
wrote an auxillary routine to read in an array off stdlink.  I haven't
been able to conclusively demonstrate this, but it seems any attempt to
reference stdlink in this auxillary function causes the Mathlink to
crash and returns a $Failed message.

The code is a little long, but if anyone is willing to help me I will
gladly send it to you for clarification.

Thanks in advance,

Sseziwa Mukasa