documentation for front end options (was: Folds)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30042] documentation for front end options (was: Folds)
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:00:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Emilio Martín-Serrano wrote:

> The Options Inspector seems to be a "bottomless well" of information
> about the front-end. In fact, it contains unavoidable data to get the
> most of Mathematica as a general purpose tool; so as to store highly
> organized information, to develop complex systems and to communicate
> them correctly. No just to perform sophisticated calculations or
> generate nice, but isolated, graphics.
>
> But, where the documentation to know how to use it fruitfully?.
> Typical Mathematica users can not afford to spend our time diving into
> the system trying to guess "non standard" solutions (those so call
> "smart" or "ingenious").
>
> I know, that our gurus advise that before posting a question, one
> ought to read every ..., etc. In fact, I have read a lot about
> Mathematica: on line help, manuals and books, but in my opinion there
> is no satisfactory explanation and documentation to the Options
> Inspector function.

Documentation for options listed in the Option Inspector dialog has been
provided in the online help since the release of Mathematica 4.  To view
them, do the following:

1) Summon the Help Browser by clicking on the front end menu command Help
-> Help Browser...

2) On the resulting window, click on the button that is labeled "Other
Information".

3) In the first scroll pane from the left on the Help Browser window ,
locate the item labeled "Front End Options" and click on it.

4) In the second scroll pane, you will find an introduction to the Option
Inspector and several option categories that mirror the category listing
used on the Option Inspector.

Note that you may search for front end options using the Go To field while
the "Other Information" button is depressed.

If you are using Mathematica 3.0.x, you can view this documentation from
the web at this URL:

http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/index343.html

Since this documentation is for Mathematica 4, there may be some options
documented that do not apply to earlier releases.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.