Font Problem: Mathematica 4.01 + Xfree86 4.02

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27532] Font Problem: Mathematica 4.01 + Xfree86 4.02
  • From: "Denis Pollney" <pollney at aei.mpg.de>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 03:40:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've just installed mathematica on a linux + Xfree86 4.02 system,
and am getting font path errors.

I've added the path to the Mathematica Fonts/X and Fonts/Type1
directories to my xfs config file. The former seem to be read
okay (according to xlsfonts they are loaded) though Mathematica still
complains that it can't find fonts, but when I add the latter,
I get the errors:

X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  101

Furthermore, adding the Type1 line seems to be messing up the
fonts in other applications which I am using.

I have downloaded the new Type1.tar.gz fonts available from the
Wolfram site (according to their support pages, the original Type1
fonts included with Mathematica 4.0 were buggy), but this does not solve
the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Denis.