Re: Plane Visualisation... ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27549] Re: Plane Visualisation... ?
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:07:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Sandman" <leigh.robinson at btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:97qbsk$ndb at smc.vnet.net...
> Given three linear equations of planes in the form
>
> ax + by + c z = d
>

> is it possible for mathematica to plot them all on one graph.... so i can
> interpret the solutions of the system graphically... ??
>

> any help is appreciated...
>
> -sandman

Yes, once you have plotted them separately and got outputs gr1, gr2 , gr3
sayt, then
Show[gr1,gr2,gr3] will show them together:

You may want to find the solution first, to decide on the range that you
want to plot over.

Lets suppose that this is  {{x0,x1},{y0,y1},{z0,z1}}

If  c != 0 then we can plot giving a name to the output but notshowing.

gr =ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, d - a x - by}, {x,x0,x1},{y,y0,y1},
PlotRange -> {{x0,x1},{y0,y1},{z0,z1}}, DisplayFunction -> Identity]

similarly for other possibilities , except a = b = 0.

This will give three outputs, say gr1,gr2, gr3.

You can show these together using

Show[gr1, gr2, gr3, DisplayFunction :> $DisplayFunction]

To do the same sort of thing with non-linear equations you can use the
package
Graphics`ContourPlot3D`.

--
Allan