Re: Mathematica can talk!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27572] Re: [mg27231] Mathematica can talk!
  • From: Pavel.Pokorny at vscht.cz
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:08:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

And how about Unix ?
Can Mathematica speak under Unix ?

--
Pavel Pokorny
Math Dept, Prague Institute of Chemical Technology
http://staff.vscht.cz/mat/Pavel.Pokorny

Christopher J. Purcell <purcell at drea.dnd.ca> wrote:
: The Voices button on the Speech control panel lets you select the
: voice and its speed, but you must select this before you start
: Mathematica for the changes to be effective. There must be some
: undocumented backdoor to allow Mathematica to use this under program
: control (rather than just keyboard input), and most likely Theodore
: Gray has the key to that door. Jlink offers another way to access the
: Mac's speech system.

:>  I have a Mac with Mac9.04. Recently, I was working on a notebook
:>and accidently pressed Control V keys (instead of Command V)
:>and to my amazement Mathematica read back the cell contents to
:>me . I have looked to see if this  feature is documented but have
:>not found anything in the Help manual . Has anyone got any ideas
:>on how one can control the speech properties  I guess it is using
:>the speech synthesizer in the Mac. However, I have not been able
:>to control the speed or voice characteristics with the Mac  speech
:>contol panel .
:>
:>Brian
:>
:>
:>Sent via Deja.com
:>http://www.deja.com/

: --
: Dr. Christopher J. Purcell
: GL/Trans
: Defence Research Establishment Atlantic
: 9 Grove St., Dartmouth, NS Canada B2Y 3Z7

: Tel: 902-426-3100-x389
: Fax: 902-426-9654
: E-mail: purcell at drea.dnd.ca