Re: help on linear equations sloving

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27854] Re: [mg27807] help on linear equations sloving
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:29:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

maarten.vanderburgt at icos.be wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Have a look at Developer`SparseLinearSolve. Maybe that can help you .
> Also useful I guess: Numerical Recipes (in C), The art of scientific
> computing, by W.H. Press and others. It has a section (2.7) on sparse
> linear systems and provides algorithms you could implement in Mathematica.

The NR routines for sparse matrix manipulation can't be recommended.
The netlib ( http://www.netlib.org ) has several excelent tested
FORTRAN and C functions written by approved numeric experts.

More over, the usage of netlib functions is free,
searching for "sparse matrix" gives 20 pages of
software tools. There is no need to buy the NR software.

Efficiently implement any of the standard sparse
matrix solvers in the top level Mathematica language
seems allmost impossible due to the lack of pointers.

Regards
  Jens