Re: using the escape key for shortcuts

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28602] Re: [mg28573] using the escape key for shortcuts
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 00:17:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> one of my favorite things about Mathematica is the few shortcuts i
> know, like for greek letters:
> <ESC>a<ESC>     produces an alpha
> <ESC>pi<ESC>     produces a pi
> i want to know more, and found a file which looks
> like a goldmine of shortcuts.  however, they don't seem to be working.
> for instance, i would be very interested to know how to enter fractions
> without clicking on the palette.  there seems to be a definition for
> FractionBox, but when i try:
> <ESC>FractionBox<ESC>
> nothing happens.  perhaps i'm not using the information from this file
> correctly.  can someone tell me how to get a fractionbox without
> clicking the palette?  i can probably figure the rest out once i know
> that one.  :)

Many of the two-dimensional typesetting features are mapped to Ctrl key
shortcuts rather than escape-key aliases.  For example, to start a
fraction, you enter the numerator and then type Ctrl-/.  Enter your
denominator and then hit Ctrl-Space to get out of the denominator.

A walkthrough of several two-dimensional editing operations are listed in
the online help.  You can access this information by evaluating the

If you want to define escape-key input aliases, you will need to use the
InputAliases option, which is documented in the online help, too.

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.