Re: Please help!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28650] Re: Please help!
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 04:00:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"Rex" <rex_chaos at> wrote in message news:9ctbb7$m4s at
> Dear Sir,
>   I wonder why I can't get the analytic form of the following integration
by Mathematica:
>   In[1] = Y=Integrate[Exp[-T^2/(2T_0^2)]Exp[iwT], {T, -Infinity,
>   Infinity}]
>   In[2] = Integrate[YExp[beta2*w^2*z-iwT],{w,-Infinity,Infinity}]
>   Unforunately, the anwser given by Mathematica is the orginal formula
>   I input.

The only problem with the first one is the variable name T_0 -- this form is
not permitted in its position. Instead do this:

Y=Integrate[Exp[-T^2/(2T0^2)]Exp[iwT], {T, -Infinity,Infinity}]

This will produce a meaningful result AS POSTED (see below).

There is no problem with the second AS POSTED:

Z = Integrate[Y Exp[beta2*w^2*z-iwT],{w,-Infinity,Infinity}]

Now, have you read the help files of acquired a Mathematica book? I ask
because your input "iwT" is almost certainly three variables, not one, and
if so, you must separate them with spaces.

With Mathematica, as with most things, you need to learn how to use it, then
use it.

Also, it is important to say which version of Mathematica you have.

Paul Lutus