Problem: Can't get resize/bounding box to stay on graphics

Hi:

I have installed Mathematica 4.1 on Suse Linux 7.1 kernel 2.2.18 KDE 2.0.1 XF86
4.0.2.

When I select a graphic by clicking in the graphic with the mouse, the
bounding box disappears after a fraction of a second and then the cell
becomes highlighted.  Thus, I am unable to resize graphics.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.
--
Christopher R. Carlen