column * row ??

Hi there,

Can someone tell me a way to mimic the building of
an N x N matrix by multiplying a column vector
on left times a row vector on right ? (both vectors
of length N) - I mean in Mathematica, of course.

i.e, want the result,

(colvec){a1,a2, .. aN} * (rowvec){b1,b2,..bN} =

result is matrix:

{{a1*b1  a1*b2 .....  a1*bN},
 {a2*b1  a2*b2 .....  a2*bN},
 {aN*b1  aN*b2 .....  aN*bN}}

When I try this in Mathematica all I can figure out
how to produce is the standard dot-product.  If I
try the 'transposed' lists/matrices, I get an error,
even tho the product is defined by basic rules of
matrix multiplication.

Thanks,

John Chaffer