Re: Problem overriding simple built-in functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28805] Re: [mg28796] Problem overriding simple built-in functions
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 01:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

First, since GCD is Protected you cannot change the definition of GCD without
first using Unprotect[GCD].  However, in general, it is a bad idea to change
built-in functions since this could have unexpected side effects.  For
instance, GCD is Listable.

Attributes[GCD]

{Flat, Listable, Orderless,
  Protected}

I believe its being Listable precludes it behaving in the way in which you
expected.  However, were the change to GCD to work it would break any code
which made use of its being Listable.

Consequently, define your own function in these circumstances

myGCD[x_List] := Apply[GCD, x];
myGCD[x__] := GCD[x];

GCD[3, 6] == myGCD[3, 6] == myGCD[{3, 6}]

True

Bob Hanlon