Re: Names[] for definitions in the current window/notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28872] Re: Names[] for definitions in the current window/notebook?
  • From: Louis Theran <theran at cs.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 03:28:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> writes:

> you can export the notebook as TeX to get "EPS" figures from
> the graphics cells.

I don't need or want to do this.

> But you question is not clear.

I want to export everything I define with a line like:

  FigureBlahBlahBlah = SomethingThatGeneratesGraphics[]

into an EPS file called FigureBlahBlahBlah.EPS.  There's nothing
magical about the prefix "Figure"; it's just a convention I use, since
the postscript files end up as figures in hand-typed LaTeX documents.

Note that the code

  Export[#<>".EPS", ToExpression[#], "EPS"] & /@ Names["Figure*"]

does this _almost_ correctly.  Why only almost?  From the unclear
question:

> > But I can't figure out how to access the list of definitions in the
> > current notebook.

In the code above, the anonymous function will get mapped over any
symbol in the system that happens to start with "Figure" (right?). I'm
only interested in definitions that appear explicity in the current
window.

This isn't a show-stopper, just a minor annoyance.

^L