Returning List Position w/o brackets

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28990] Returning List Position w/o brackets
  • From: brian <polar at cloud9.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 04:07:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Is there a way to have have the Position function return a value without
the brackets.

        Say there are two lists,
        letter = {a,b,c,d} and number = {1,2,3,4}

        If I call             letter[[2]] I get b
        but if I use        letter[[  Flatten[ Position[ number, 2 ] ]
]] I get {b}

        I have several large lists that I am searching through and then
need to print out the values and I would like to have the brackets
removed from the text reports.  I hve tried several different methods
but nothing seems to work.

Thank for any help    Brian