Re: Showing intermediate steps in calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29051] Re: [mg29019] Showing intermediate steps in calculations
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:53:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think you need a program especially designed for teaching or self
learning, which Mathematica  is not. Firstly what you call "intermediate
steps" are usually written in C an compiled, which makes their execution
much faster and there is no way you can get them without access to the
source code. But any case, the "intermediate" steps in a computer
computation may been entirely different from the "intermediate" steps a
human being would (or should) take. They would be of more interest in
someone interested in computer algebra programs than in algebra. In fact
human beings are still on the whole much smarter than computers and
learning to do solve mathematical problems the way a computer would do it is
unlikely to improve ones mathematical knowledge or skills.

Andrzej Kozlowski

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University