Re: possible?: Notebook in "batch mode"

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29136] Re: possible?: Notebook in "batch mode"
  • From: paulh at (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:28:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Wed, 30 May 2001 10:07:45 +0000 (UTC), Harald von der
Osten-Woldenburg <hvdosten at> wrote:

> is it possible to work in batch mode, using a Mathematica-Notebook? I
> have tried something like  math<Notebook.nb    but without any success.
> I have to work on 800 data files, using:
> data = Import["02000.dat", "Table"]      and
> wfile=OpenWrite["02000-new.dat"]      respectively within the notebook.

This is an FAQ that has been addressed several times in this forum.
You can find a detailed response at this URL:
> Also without any success I have tried to read in those filenames written
> in another input file. Is this also not possible or must I do some
> tricky construction? Or is it possible to work like
> math < Notebook.nb     %Input-Parameter1     %Input-Parameter2

Why not create a plain text file with one file name per line and then
use ReadList[] to read the names in as strings:

listOfFileNames = ReadList["listoffilenames.txt", Word];

Then you can automate the task of reading and writing data with

    data = Import[#, "Table"];
    newfile = StringReplace[#, ".dat" -> "-new.dat"];
    wfile = OpenWrite[newfile];
    (* Insert additional operations here. *)

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.