Improving RootSearch Package

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31584] Improving RootSearch Package
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:42:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hello Group,
A few weeks ago I posted a robust RootSearch package at

Johannes Ludsteck informed me of a rare situation in which RootSearch had a
lot of trouble and would produce toublesome error messages.  I have since
corrected a bug in RootSearch that was the cause of the problem. I sent
MathSource an update to my package, but the new version hasn't yet been
posted. In the mean time I can send the new version directly to anyone who
wants it.

I would also like to enhance RootSearch so it can try to find all roots of a
system of equations (for a specified range of values).  A good
implementation of this would probably use Broyden's method
and possibly a Line Search algorithm as explained in Setion 9.7 of the
polular book Numerical Recipes in C.  However, I am having a hard time
understanding these algorithms.  Please get in touch with me if you would
like assist me in implementing one or both of these algorithms in

Ted Ersek
   See Mathematica Tips, Tricks at