Linux font problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31719] Linux font problem
  • From: me <ingrammpnospam at nospam.earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:29:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

SuSE Linux 7.3, Mathematica 4.1

Right after the initial splash screen, I get a "startup warning", where all
of the characters in the actual warning appear as small boxes...

If I select the one that promises to be "ok", mathematica starts, but
almost every character on the display is one of those little square boxes..

I've tried adding the mathematica fonts to the /etc/XF86Config file, like
this:

 FontPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/xtest"
  FontPath      "/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/X/"
  FontPath      "/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1/"
  FontPath      "/usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/AFM/"
  ModulePath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

and it doesn't help...

reinstalled, rebooted, no luck....

X display of mathematica from another working machine does exactly the same
thing.... the little boxes display instead of readable characters...

Nothing in my .Xdefaults file, have also tried using kde and mwm... same
result with both window managers..   Didn't see anything useful at
support.wolfram.com either....

Stumped..., puzzled... Thanks in advance for any help on this one !

Mike