Symbolize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31731] Symbolize
  • From: Blimbaum Jerry DLPC <BlimbaumJE at ncsc.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:13:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

	For some reason the Symbolize command in the Notations Package
duzznt work....I have version 4.1 Mathematica with Windows 2000...has anyone
else experienced this problem?   I have removed Mathematica many times over
and reloaded it but still get the same problem...so for example, if i want
to symbolize subscripted variables and then ask for their Head I still get
the output  Subscript rather then symbol...is there anything that I can do
to track this problem down?   I also have Matlab on my machine and wonder
whether there's some kind of conflict in reading  .m files...
	Another question:   why duzz the following not work , i.e. give me
x + b + (a + y) I     rather then just returning the original
expression....I realize that it can be dunn using ComplexExpand and that's
what i ended up using but i was surprised that Collect didnt work...

	Collect[x + I y + I a + b, I]   where I is the imaginary symbol....

	thanks     Jerry Blimbaum    NSWC   Panama City, Fl