Specifying jobs in Parallel Computing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31021] Specifying jobs in Parallel Computing
  • From: "Toshiyuki \(Toshi\) Meshii" <meshii at mech.fukui-u.ac.jp>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 02:49:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I wonder if I can specify the quantity of the jobs by ParallelTable, or
similar commands.

For example, suppose there is one master + three slave machines connected.
All I can do at this moment is like

a = ParallelTable[ i^2 +3, {i, 1, 3000}]

so that I do not know the load level of each slave machines.

Because I know the CPU speed, I want to divide the total job so that (for
example)
CPU 1 --- i = 1 to 500
CPU 2 --- i = 501 to 2000
CPU 3 --- i = 2001 to 3000

Is this possible by Mathematica's parallel computing kit?

-Toshi

   Toshiyuki (Toshi) Meshii  meshii at mech.fukui-u.ac.jp
    Department of Mechanical Engineering
    Fukui University, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui, 910-8507, JAPAN
     Tel & Fax +81-776-27-8468
     http://mech.fukui-u.ac.jp/~meshii/meshii.htm