Help: How to solve PDE in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31073] Help: How to solve PDE in Mathematica?
  • From: li zheng <zhngli at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 03:33:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear group,

Could you tell me who to get the general analytical solution of the following function

1. Uxy - Uy = 0

2.  U + 2 Ux + 2 Uy +4 Uxy = 0

U is function of x and y.

Something strange is:  although I can calculate the general solution by hand for the first equation easily, I can't use mathematica to get the solution.

I have tried two ways:

  ~ the DSolve   and

  ~ the following way

<<Calculus`DSolveIntegrals`

CompleteIntegral[Derivative[1, 1][u][x, y] - Derivative[0, 1][u][x, y] == 0,
  u[x, y], {x, y}]

Thanks a lot!

Li