Re: Mathematica 4.1 under Windows XP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31244] Re: [mg31236] Mathematica 4.1 under Windows XP
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 04:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> The production release of Windows XP Professional was made available to MSDN
> subscribers on
> 9/21/2001, and will be made available to everyone on 10/25/2001.  Can anyone
> comment on the compatability of Mathemaitca 4.1 and Windows XP Professional?
>
> If Mathematica 4.1 does indeed work on WXP, are there any "gotcha's" we
> should be aware of?
>
> Thank you for your insight and comments.
>
> Regards, Matt
>
> --
> Matthew D. Langston
> SLD, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> langston at SLAC.Stanford.EDU

I've been running Mathematica 4.1 under various builds of Windows XP
Professional on a daily basis for months, and our Quality Assurance
group has given Mathematica 4.1 a full workout under the final version
of Windows XP.  Our conclusion is that Windows XP is an excellent and
reliable system for running Mathematica, with no gotcha's whatsoever.
We have not logged even a single bug report or user complaint based on
the Mathematica experience under Windows XP.

One thing that you will notice when running Mathematica 4.1 under Windows
XP, though, is that Mathematica 4.1 will retain the "classic" Windows
look of applications in its dialog boxes and palettes when run under an
XP theme.  This is the result of a design decision made by Microsoft
to maintain the maximum level of backwards compatibility with legacy
applications.  Future versions of Mathematica will take full advantage
of a variety of new Windows XP features, including themes.

And, in the unlikely event that you do notice any XP-specific issues,
please make sure to report it to support at wolfram.com.  We are very
interested in hearing about any such problems.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group